Find a courseExpand
Pre-Master's Diploma - English Language and Study Skills
The Pre-Master's Diploma has been designed to fully prepare international students for your future master's course. It allows you to to specialise in a subject of your choice and to improve your study skills and use of academic English.
Questions about fees?
Contact Student Finance on:
Questions about fees?
Deposits and refunds
A £3,000 deposit is required to secure your place on this course.
In the unlikely event that you decide to leave within the first four weeks of the course we will refund the tuition fees minus the £3,000 deposit. No refunds are available after the fourth week of the course. For more information see our terms and conditions.
The fees that EU/EEA students starting courses at UK universities after the UK has formally left the EU are required to pay will depend on what is agreed as part of the UK's exit negotiations. Please see www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/news/brexit-faqs/ for the most up-to-date information.
Financial support and scholarships
Learning and assessment
The Pre-Master's Diploma has been designed to fully prepare you for your future master's course.
You will improve your study skills and use of academic English - the essential skills you will need for your master’s course. You will also have the opportunity to specialise in a subject of your choice through modules from the range of subjects offered at Oxford Brookes.
Your chosen subject specialism modules will improve your knowledge of the area you wish to study in the future, and allow you to gain experience of studying at a UK university.
You should choose this course if:
- your undergraduate qualifications do not meet the level required for direct entry to postgraduate study
- you wish to take a master's in a subject that is different from your undergraduate degree
- you wish to improve your study skills and academic language level before starting your master's course
- you want to better understand the academic demands for studying at master's level in the UK
- you have had a break from education and want to build your confidence before starting your master's
The Pre-Master's Certificate is a recognised qualification. Most students who successfully complete the course with the required grades go on to study a master's degree.
You can progress to one of the following master's degrees after your pre-master's.
- Arts, Publishing and Humanities
- Biological and Medical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Environmental Science and Management
- Health and Social Care
- Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure
- Real Estate, Construction and Built Environment
- Social Sciences
Normally, you can progress to your chosen master's by achieving an average grade of 60% (55% for business/hospitality degrees) on the Pre-Master's Diploma. If you would like to check your eligibility for a master’s course, contact the admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1865 483040 for further information.
* Some master's courses at Oxford Brookes can be offered as a two-year programme. On satisfactory completion of the Pre-Master's Diploma, you transfer to your master's degree in the second year.
Programme Changes: On rare occasions we may need to make changes to our course programmes after they have been published on the website.
For more information, please visit our Changes to programmes page.