Evidence needed for a Student visa application

  • Differential evidence requirement

    If you are from one of the countries listed under the ‘differential evidence requirement’, you do not need to submit financial evidence or academic qualifications with your visa application. However, if the UKVI ask for these documents (outlined below), you must make sure you are able to provide them. If you cannot provide them, then your application will be refused. (In the link, go to the section called Eligibility Requirements for a Student' and then to 'Differential Evidence Requirement' to check if your country is listed here.) 

  • You will need to submit your finance documents with your visa application, unless you have been in the UK with a valid immigration permission for at least the last 12 months and are applying inside the UK. If you are required to show finance documents, you will be contacted for the finance documents after you have submitted your CAS request form.

    • You need to provide the qualifications listed on your CAS if you are studying below degree level.
    • You will not be required to submit evidence of academic qualifications with your visa application if you are studying at degree level or above.
    • If you are applying to continue on the same course then you may not have any qualifications listed on your CAS.
    • If you are applying inside the UK and are starting a new course and you have, or have had, a Student visa before then you will also need to submit evidence that you successfully completed the course you were studying to show academic progression.
    • If you are applying for the Doctorate Extension Scheme, you do not need to send any evidence of previous studies.

    If you are starting a new course, to be issued with your Certificate of Acceptance for Study (CAS) you must prove you can read, write, speak and understand English Language by meeting the minimum Home Office requirements. Your CAS will show how you have met the English Language requirements. The English Language evidence listed on your CAS must be provided with your visa application.

    Please see our pdf guides for completing your application forms for guidance on how to show this:

    If you are applying to continue on the same course, you do not need to provide your English language qualification for your visa application. The CAS will show that the university has assessed your level of English.

    You will need your current passport and your previous passport if it has your current visa in it. You will also need your current Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP visa ID card) if you have one.
    Check if you are from a country where you will need to get a certificate from a Tuberculosis (TB) test (UKVI).

    If you are applying for your visa inside the UK and your most recent immigration permission has the condition to register with the police, you must provide an up-to-date police registration certificate with your Student visa application. Make sure your police registration certificate is up-to-date and shows your current address and current immigration status.

    For more details, see Police Registration.

    If you will be studying or researching one of the subjects at postgraduate level in the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) that includes science, engineering and technology, you must have a valid ATAS certificate. If you need an ATAS certificate you must get this before we can issue your CAS.

    Check out the requirements of ATAS and how to apply for it. Students from the EEA, EU, Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea & USA do not require an ATAS.

    If any of your documents are not in English, then in addition to submitting the original untranslated document, you must also include an official translation that has been signed and dated by an authorised and verifiable translator which includes their contact details and credentials and a confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document.
  • Contact us

    International Student Advice Team

    Contact & opening hours »