Oxford Brookes University students and staff can take advantage of a range of transport discounts and offers.
The University encourages cyclists to insure their bike, and use a good quality lock, for the bike's and their own protection.
Security Services offer students and staff:
- free bike marking kits
- discounted bike locks
These can be purchased via the University online shop or direct from Security Services team.
Walton Street Cycles provides staff and students with Bike Dr sessions for an on-campus while-you-wait maintenance and repair service. You will need to present your valid University ID and Labour is free - you only need to pay for parts.
For session details, staff and students can subscribe to the Bike Dr Calendar.
Booking is not necessary but can be arranged by emailing email@example.com. Please include the session date and time and your bike details (e.g. make/model, nature of work).
Walton Street Cycles stock a range of used and recycled bicycles for all budgets and needs to help facilitate cycling in and around Oxford.
All used bikes have been fully serviced and are sold with a 3-month no-nonsense warranty. Please contact them for more details.
University Cyclist Forum
The University Cyclist Forum is a great way to get in contact with other Brookes cyclists and is our first point of contact for all cycling communication.
To become a member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brookes Active is a collection of activities, events and campaigns to help you enjoy an active and healthy lifestyle with Brookes.
Cyclox is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) aiming to put cycling at the heart of Oxford’s future.
They have some great information on local cycling routes and events to encourage and support cycling in the city.
Oxford has a number of dockless hire bike providers operating in the city, so if you do not have your own pair of wheels, hire bikes are a great option.
Oxford County Council are also piloting e-scooter hire in the city. Working with a company called Voi, they aim to offer an alternative option for commuter travel utilising geofencing technology with designated hire / parking points situated within Oxford, including near Halls of Residences and the Oxford based campuses.
Personal e-scooters remain illegal in public areas and the use of any e-scooters (hired or personal) is not permitted on University campuses or Halls of Residence.
If you have a query or would like to report a hire vehicle causing an obstruction, please contact the hire operator directly.
E-bikes are recognised to be a viable alternative to travel and they allow more people to enjoy cycling. The benefits have been well documented in health, environment, finance and improved fitness.
Oxford charity Wheels for All have a limited number of e-bikes that they are able to lend out, especially for those with mobility issues and a number of local cycle stores (including, but not limited to those below), offer e-bike test rides.
Just give them a call to arrange a test ride and you will require some valid photographic identification (e.g. driving licence or passport).
Willow Walk - Walkers and cyclists can enjoy a new riverside route into Oxford, following the completion of the Willow Walk scheme, linking between North Hinksey Lane and Ferry Hinksey Road. The Willow Walk project ties in with a new shared cycle path on King George’s Field, providing an off-road path for cyclists and pedestrians linking into the existing cycle network to Oxford from the west of the city.
Designated cycle parking facilities and bike racks can be found across the Campuses and Halls of Residences.
Some of the facilities will have restricted access. The John Henry Brookes Building on the Headington Campus is accessed via your Oxford Brookes University ID card and offered on a first come, first served basis. If it is at full capacity, please use one of the other nearby cycle parking facilities or bike racks.
Some Halls of Residences and campuses will have facilities with restricted access managed by the halls reception. Halls may have single bike storage bins that can be hired for up to a year. Bike bins are limited, issued on a first come, first served basis and require a £20 deposit. In the first instance, availability inquiries should be raised with the applicable Halls/ Campus reception.
For active travel commuters, university shower facilities available are located:
- Headington Campus (Sports Centre, John Payne - Lv2, Clerici and Abercrombie)
- Marston Road Site (MRG11 and MRG45)
- Harcourt Hill Campus (FG08 and FG09)
- Wheatley Campus (“S” Block (open showers in changing rooms), Simon William new Gym,H229b and H229c (Accessed from "G" Block) and R119)
- Swindon Campus, Room JOF.G.01s
What if my bike is stolen?
If your bicycle is stolen at:
- Headington Campus - contact Campus Services in the Main GL Foyer, tel: (01865) 60 3060
- Wheatley Campus - contact Campus Services in the Entrance Lodge, tel: (01865) 485400
- Harcourt Hill Campus - contact Campus Services in Site Reception, tel: (01865) 488456
Report a theft to Thames Valley Police non-emergency line on 101.
Can I take my bike on public transport?
Your bike travels free on most trains. Please see below for details on each train company
- Great Western Railway (from Oxford Station) – You must make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance on 0345 7000 125 or at the time of booking.
- Chiltern Trains (from Oxford Parkway Station) – Restrictions on taking cycles during peak times.
- Cross Country Trains (from Oxford Station) – Advised to make a cycle reservation on 0844 811 0124.
- Oxford Bus Company - Bikes are only allowed on the Airline services to Gatwick and Heathrow Airport. Visit the Oxford Bus Company website for details and contact information.
- Stagecoach Oxford – Bikes are only allowed on the X5 Oxford to Cambridge coach, NOT local buses. Visit the Stagecoach website for details and contact information.
Where can I buy bikes/accessories/get my bike repaired in Oxford?
Broken Spoke Bike Co-op - St Thomas School, Osney Ln, Oxford OX1 1NJ
Cycloanalysts - 150 Cowley Road, 01865 424444
Beeline Bicycles - 205 Cowley Road, 01865 246615
Cycle King - 128-130 Cowley Road
Bike Zone - 28-32 St Michael's Street (City Centre), 01865 728877
Bike Zone loyalty card - Now offering all partnership business and group employees the opportunity to a FREE sign up to our in store loyalty card to replace your basic standard discount. All that’s required is your work ID or staff card and your email address. This will then give you enhanced discounts at Bike Zone and our sister shop Summertown cycles.
What you get:
- 10% discount on bikes.
- Up to 20% discount on Clothing, parts and accessories
- Up to 20% discount on workshop labour and parts, out of University term time.
Electric Bikes Sales - 125 Magdalen Road, 01865 243937
Walton Street Cycles - 78 Walton Street
Warlands - 63 Botley Road, 01865 723100
Summertown Cycles - 200 Banbury Road, 01865 316885
Halfords - Halfords offer a number of cycling accessories and services.
- Free 36-Point Bike Check service: Get your bike checked for free – from frames and wheels to brake systems and drivetrains.
- Cycling Resource Hub: Get access a great deal of help and advice such as buyers’ guides, how to guides, expert advice and more.
- Pre-Loved Bike Trade In: Trade in your old bike for a Halfords Gift Card to be used towards purchasing a new bike.
Please contact Halfords directly for further information on the initiatives they offer.