Funding options for international students

  • Oxford Brookes University is excited to announce that this year, in partnership with the British Council and the GREAT Britain Campaign, we are offering two £10,000 scholarships to students from Egypt and Nepal holding an offer to study a postgraduate course with us starting in September 2022.

    This Scholarship scheme is part of the GREAT Scholarship 2022 programme, which is an initiative by the British Council and the UK Government, designed to attract some of the brightest postgraduate students from around the world to study at more than 40 British universities in the 2022-23 academic year.

    The GREAT Scholarship 2021 programme offers an exciting opportunity for students from Bangladesh, China, Egypt, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Thailand to get financial support to pursue postgraduate study in the UK. Students can apply for courses in a range of subjects, at the 40 institutions across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

    Full information including criteria for eligibilty can be found here.  

    Starting your degree in September 2022 or January 2023? You could qualify for one of our new £2,000 international student scholarships.

    We know that moving to a new country can be a challenge, and we believe that early preparation is an important factor in student success. In order to encourage our students to be well prepared for their new life in the UK, we are offering a £2,000 scholarship to support students who make their deposit payment by a relevant deadline, see below for more information.

    Full information including criteria for eligibilty can be found  here.  

    Research studentships within the University are offered from time to time.

    When available, studentships are advertised on or on the on the Research Degrees Team funding web page. Other help and advice can be found on the Research Degrees Team website, or you can phone them on +44 (0) 1865 484244 or email

    When Santander Scholarships are available for current research students, full details will be advertised on the Research Degrees Team pages: Research funding opportunities

    If you have already graduated from Oxford Brookes, you may be eligible for a 10% tuition fee discount on postgraduate tuition fees.

    Please see our 10% discount page for further information.

    If two or more members of immediate family are studying and paying fees at Oxford Brookes at the same time, we will deduct 10% from your tuition fees for each family member.

    This discount is open to all family members (siblings and spouses) who are categorised as 'overseas' for fees purposes. For more information please contact the Student Finance team.

    If you have completed one of these courses at Oxford Brookes:

    and are renewing your visa to join an Oxford Brookes postgraduate course in 2021-22, the University will pay the costs of renewing your student visa, as follows:

    • £490, if it is renewed in the UK
    • £363, if it is renewed outside the UK

    To claim this discount students should apply by email to the Student Finance Office after receiving their visa for their new course. They must provide a copy of their passport or their new visa, which must be dated after they have finished their previous course.

    If they have applied in the UK they must show their new visa on a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or visa card. If they have applied outside the UK they must show the visa sticker in their passport.

    Unless a request is made no discount will be awarded. The discount will be debited against your tuition fees. If your fees have already been paid in full a refund will be arranged. Only one visa renewal discount will be awarded per course.

    The Oxford Brookes Sanctuary Scholarship scheme provides a full fee waiver and living cost bursary to individuals seeking asylum and those who have a form of protection from an asylum claim who are not able to access government student finance.
    Name of scholarship Notes Contact

    British Council Fellowships

    Funded by the British Council

    Awarded for postgraduate study or research.

    Range from short attachments to research leading to a PhD.

    Awarded by the local British Council Director; he or she decides the subject areas that will be eligible for a grant and selects the candidates.

    You must apply to the British Council Office in your own country for a fellowship, and you are usually required to be a national and a resident of the country in which you apply.

    If you are considered for a grant, you will be interviewed in your own country.

    your local British Council office

    UK scholarship schemes

    Many British Council offices administer scholarship schemes that are only open to nationals from a particular country. Your local British Council office should be able to give you information about these schemes.

    You may also be eligible to apply for one of our partial scholarships available for international students who pay international fees.

    your local British Council office

    Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP)

    Funded by the Department for International Development and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office

    Assists Commonwealth students and academics of high intellectual calibre to study in other Commonwealth countries.

    Around 400 students come to the UK each year under the scheme.

    You may be eligible for a Commonwealth Scholarship if you are a citizen of either a Commonwealth country (but not the Commonwealth of Independent States), or a British dependent territory.

    Scholarships are primarily intended for postgraduate study or research. Candidates should hold a good honours degree or equivalent qualification appropriate for admission to their proposed course of study.

    If there are no undergraduate courses in a particular subject in your own country or regional university, it may sometimes be possible for you to apply to do a first degree course under this scheme.

    Fellowships are usually for established teachers in universities or medical schools for study at post-doctoral level. They are not awarded for degree or diploma courses.

    Commonwealth Scholarships website

    British Chevening Scholarships

    Funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office

    Provides awards for present and future leaders, decision-makers and opinion-formers, in particular from countries with whom the UK's economic relations are expected to develop.

    Awards are for one-year diploma and master's courses in various fields.

    Selection of candidates is carried out by British Embassies and High Commissions in consultation with the local British Council Director.

    You should therefore be in residence in your home country when you apply.

    Chevening scholarship website

    Marshall Scholarships

    Funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office

    Available to United States citizens, who have obtained first degrees from an accredited university or college in the US within the last 3 years, to undertake study in any subject leading to a degree at a UK university.

    Selection is by regional committee in the USA.

    Marshall Scholarship website

    Fulbright Graduate Student Awards

    Funded by the Department for Education and Employment and the US government

    Available to US-based graduate students for study in the UK.

    Preference is given to outstanding graduate students of academic or artistic excellence who are potential leaders in their field and have good reasons for coming to the UK.

    Applicants are advised to apply to more than one university and to check and adhere to university deadlines which differ from institution to institution.

    Fulbright awards can also be combined with other awards (e.g. ORS) to cover more than one year of study.

    Fulbright Program website

    Said Foundation Scholarships

    Funded through a partnership between the Said Foundation and Oxford Brookes University

    These are available to Jordanian, Lebanese, Syrian or Palestinian students.

    Up to three scholarships can be awarded to Oxford Brookes students in each year for taught master’s or master’s by research courses in any field. The scholarships will cover tuition fees and a maintenance allowance.

    Candidates must agree to apply the skills and knowledge they have gained in one of the Said Foundation's target countries. The decision on who should receive the scholarships is made by the Said Foundation, who will take into account the usefulness of their subjects to the Middle East, the excellence and future potential of the candidates and their financial need.

    The Said Foundation

    Other scholarships

    Other sources of funding are available from such bodies as the British Council, the Department for International Development, the Department of Education and Employment and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Good sources of information are your local British Council office and the Council for International Education (UKCISA) or Study UK.